In Spring 2022, we will be having a 2 part California Study Abroad Town Hall Meeting. The first part will be on Thursday and Friday, April 21 and 22, in person, at the University of California, Irvine, in person, in cooperation with the OSAC, US Department of State College and University Health and Safety Workshop. The second part will be online on Friday, May 6th from 10:00am to 1:00pm.
Part 1: OSAC College and University Health and Safety Workshop (in-person):
Highlights of the Schedule include:
- Thursday, April 21st (all day)
- Panel Sessions on a variety of institutional approaches to risk management, supporting mental health abroad, and understanding regional complexity in a dynamic world.
- Interactive exercises on promoting student safety during protests & riots, managing cyber security for your tech-reliant travelers abroad, and more!
- Beach Bonfire reception to follow
- Friday, April 22nd (morning)
- Behind the scenes tour at Santa Ana Airport, Orange County, including field operations, customs, and immigration operations.
- Friday, April 22nd (afternoon) The California Town Hall
Part 2: Study Abroad in California: Friday, May 6th - Online: On Friday, May 6th, there will be an Online California Study Abroad Town Hall, following the format from Spring 2020 and Spring 2021. This will include presentations which will highlight systemwide updates from UCEAP, CSU IP, CCIE, and AICCU; partner updates from NAFSA Region XII, the Forum on Education Abroad, and Diversity Abroad, as well as Hot Topics facing study abroad professionals today throughout California and around the world.
When: The California Study Abroad Town Hall Part 2 Program will be Online from 10:00am - 1:00pm on Friday, May 6, 2022.
Part 2 of the Spring 2022 California Study Abroad Town Hall Program will include updates from
- University of California Education Abroad Program
- Calfornia State University International Programs
- California Colleges for International Education (California Community Colleges)
- California Independent and Private Colleges and Universities
- NAFSA: AIE Region XII
- International Education Organizations (Study Abroad Providers)
- Diversity Abroad
- Other Organizations
Special Topics will include:
- Reflections from the OSAC, US Department of State College and University Health and Safety Workshop at UC Irvine on April 21st and 22nd and key health and safety issues and resources for returning to in-person study abroad
- Plans for Study Abroad Fairs for Fall 2022 and Ways to Enhance Their Impact
- Increasing the Impact of Study Abroad for Students through the UN SDGs (including the new content and competition by the Forum on Education Abroad)
- Ideas for providing in-person study abroad, virtual study abroad, and hybrid models to increase international learning opportunities for students
- Other Special Topics
Download the Powerpoint for Part 2 of the California Study Abroad Town Hall on May 6th Here
The Spring 2022 California Study Abroad Town Hall will be co-sponsored by:
- University of California Systemwide Education Abroad Program (UCEAP)
- California State University Systemwide Office of International Programs
- California Colleges for International Education (representing California Community Colleges)
- Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)
- University of California Irvine, Office of Global Engagement and Study Abroad Center
- Region XII, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Education Abroad Knowledge Community
- Southern California Consortium for International Studies (SOCCIS)
- Loyola Marymount University Study Abroad Office
- Center for Global Education at California State University at Dominguez Hills
For questions about the Spring 2022 Online California Study Abroad Town Hall, contact: Gary Rhodes, Ph.D., Professor and Director, Center for Global Education, California State University at Dominguez Hills at firstname.lastname@example.org.